Monday, May 10, 2010

Lena Horne, Broadway Legend, Dead At 92

Lena Horne, the jazz singer and actress who broke racial barriers in clubs and on Broadway to become one of the brightest stars of her day, has died at the age of 92, according to the Associated Press.  Hospital spokesperson Gloria Chin said that Ms. Horne died Sunday at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, but no further details were released regarding the death.  Horne once said the following about her fame, making me think she may have had mixed feelings about her sucess.  "I was unique in that I was a kind of black that white people could accept," she once said. "I was their daydream. I had the worst kind of acceptance because it was never for how great I was or what I contributed. It was because of the way I looked."  Always a fighter, Ms. Horne said that "I was always battling the system to try to get to be with my people. Finally, I wouldn't work for places that kept us out. ... It was a damn fight everywhere I was, every place I worked, in New York, in Hollywood, all over the world."  The fight paid off in 1958 with her first Tony nomination and in 1981 when she won a special Tony Award for her concert "Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music".

No comments:

Post a Comment