Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lea Michele Interview

Well, dear readers of the envelope, I have some exciting news for you.  I have just finished transcribing my very first interview for this blog and it was with none other than the beautiful and talented Lea Michele of Broadway's Spring Awakening and Television's Glee.  Lea was very generous to grant me this interview given her busy schedule for the upcoming season 2 of Glee, but I asked her about the show and her transition to television.  I'm really excited that I was able to do this and I hope you are, too!  Enjoy!

Q:  You have been steadily been building a name for yourself on Broadway as one of the prominent leading ladies of the younger generation.  What made you decide to make the leap into television?

A:  First off, leaving Broadway was probably one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make.  Broadway was like a second home to me, it was where I did the things I loved.  After being involved with Spring Awakening for so long, I thought I'd be with Broadway for much longer.  When the offer for Glee came up, it was a lot of discussion.  It was a new show, with new ideas and a new cast.  As the casting came together I was thinking that doing a television show like Glee would be a great idea.  Besides singing, dancing, and acting so similar to the stuff on Broadway, viewers around the world would get influenced.  I understood how many kids these days get picked on for not fitting in.  Often it reminded me of my school years.

Q:  How did the opportunity to do Glee come up?

A:  The opportunity came up when I was told the producers wanted someone not very well known to television that could sing and dance to be a part of a FOX series.

Q:  Do you think there are any similarities between yourself and Rachel Berry (your character on Glee)? If yes, what are they?  If not, how do you get into character and get ready to become Rachel?

A:  I think there are definitely some similarities between Rachel and I.  For example, I think the show portrays her as smart, knowing exactly what she wants to do and setting high goals.  That was me in high school.  I sometimes was too hard on myself, but I was always the first one signing up for choir or the musical and I also was acting, in every class.  I used to sing on the bus ride home or during any free time I had.  To get ready to step into Rachel's shoes, I imagine what I would be doing in her situations.  Sometimes we would act similarly and sometimes not.

Q:  How would you describe the difference(s) in the process between making or rehearsing a TV show and making a Broadway show?

A:  The one major difference between Broadway and filming is that if you make a mistake you can refilm the scene!  On Broadway, everyone is completely vulnerable to making mistakes and, in television, all you have to do is redo the part.  I find it close because, either way, I am participating in things I love to do.  I pretend that no cameras and no people are watching and give the best performance I can.

Q:  Do you have any favorite songs that you've done on Glee?  How about any favorite moments or scenes?

A:  I can tell you this, my favorite song from Glee would have to be "Don't Stop Believin'" because from there the series really took off.  Also, I find it to be a very influential song that shows how talented the McKinley High kids are.

Q:  What's your favorite role you've performed, on stage or otherwise?

A:  I truly believe that my favorite character to play is becoming Rachel Berry.  She has her own insight on life and sometimes it's difficult, but I'm always up for a challenge.

Q:  What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

A:  in my free time (when I have the time) I do everything a normal person would.  I hang out with my fellow Glee castmates, sometimes for a quick cup of coffee or just dinner at a local place.  I read, shop, and relax.



Thanks so much for the great interview, Lea!  And, as for you, my readers, make sure you watch Glee as the remaining episodes of the first season air on Tuesday nights on FOX starting April 13th.  The show has also been picked up for a second season that I know we will all be watching out for.

1 comment: