Thursday, March 11, 2010

Miracle Worker

I ended up seeing the current revival of The Miracle Worker last night starring Abigail Breslin and Alison Pill and it was actually better than I had expected it to be, given the reviews it received.  While the major critics all praised the two star performances (totally deserved praise, I must add), critics didn't enjoy the theater-in-the-round staging of the play, saying that it got in the way too much.  While I can understand what they meant, I think the staging actually worked, and while it didn't necessarily add to the quality of the show, it didn't take away from it either.  At least, not in any way such a staging wouldn't take away from any production not originally written to be done in the round.  My opinion, however, does not a Tony nomination make on this one, so I am going to let the buzz machine do what it will over the next few months and see how this affects my nomination predictions.  I am still calling noms for Pill and Breslin, but as for the production as a whole?  I'm now unsure.

No comments:

Post a Comment