Thursday, February 18, 2010

Back to the Prognosticating ...

It's been a while since I've written about how I arrived at the nomination choices that I did, so I wanted to get back to those now.  In this post I'll discuss more categories than I have in this series because, for the categories I will be discussing today, there is a lot less politicking to navigate.

For example, in the category of Best Original Score, it looks like there are only three shows that are even eligible for the four spots in this category -- "Fela!", "Memphis", and "The Addams Family".  Revivals are not eligible in this category, clearly, and the other shows all take their music either from popular music ("Come Fly Away" gets its music from the recordings of Frank Sinatra, "American Idiot" from a Green Day album, and "Million Dollar Quartet" from a jam session by Elvis, Johnny Cash, and others) or, in the case of "Sondheim on Sondheim", from music that has all been on Broadway before.

As for the Best Book category, also available only to new musicals, I have picked the only shows which I think make any sense.  I can't imagine "Sondheim on Sondheim", "American Idiot", or "Come Fly Away" having much in the way of a book, leaving the remaining four shows -- "Fela!", "Memphis", "Million Dollar Quartet", and "The Addams Family" -- to get the four slots for their books.

That's all for now.  I will be back later tonight with my thoughts on directors and choreographers.

No comments:

Post a Comment