Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pictures of Godspell

Broadway's Circle in the Square Theatre has been a long time fascination of mine. It is a bizarre space to do a show in because of the combination of a few factors that, on their own, would cause trouble for anyone trying to stage a play -- the lack of wing space to hide entrances/exits, the lack of fly space above the stage, the theater-in-the-round style stage and, not the least of all concerns, the fact that it is effectively in a basement, leaving not much versatility for certain technical elements. But when I heard that a revival of Godspell was coming there, I actually thought that the space had found the right tenant, or at least that a tenant had picked the perfect space. The show is based on one of the gospels about Jesus (I forget which one ... not being Christian, I have trouble keeping those straight regardless) and is written as a sort of clown show -- I can't quite describe it well, but if you look up a description of the show, I'm sure you can get a sense of what I'm talking about here. Anyhow ... Broadway.com has posted some pictures of the show, which just started previews a few days ago, and I thought I would post a link to those because, well, I think they look pretty fantastic. In the vein of full disclosure here, I have strong ties to some of the producing team for this production and this post is not intended as a plug for the show ... it's just something I've been thinking about lately.

http://www.broadway.com/shows/godspell/photos/godspell-show-photos/

No comments:

Post a Comment